Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sweet Shoppe


Sometimes I get crazy ideas for projects that turn me into a crazy person trying to finish them. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try and make a felt food sweet shoppe for Little Bug's birthday. I started out fine, but as usual, I got a little bit carried away with what I was trying to accomplish, and was cramming at the last minute to try and get everything done.

It started out with a free shelf that I got. It is one that was meant to go above a toilet in a bathroom, but after I painted it, I had been moving it around trying to find the perfect use for it. So, it became the base for the sweet shoppe. I just need to add a back to it. I had some leftover beadboard from another project, so I just cut it to size and nailed it to the back.


There are so many cool resources for felt food. I found many free tutorials and patterns which I used to make cakes, cookies, cupcakes, and many other desserts. I also did some winging it, and made some things up on my own. I also bought a couple of patterns from some Etsy shops, when I got too frustrated trying to figure things out on my own. 

This is what I ended up with: 

A chocolate cake with raspberries. 

A strawberry cake. 

Some sugar cookies.

Three swiss cake rolls.

Three lollipops. (It's funny, because I totally made these up at the last minute. They turned out ok, but not great and they are her very favorite thing. I have to remind her that she shouldn't really lick them.)


I wanted a cute way to display all of the desserts, so I made some wood cake and cupcake stands using supplies from Michaels. For the sweet shoppe sign, I cut a piece of foam core board that I had down to the size that I wanted. I cute the banner out of scrapbook paper and Modge Podged it onto the board. Then I used my vinyl cutter to cut out the letters for the sign.



Can I just say that I love felt/fleece food. I ended up using both fleece and felt for this project. It is really forgiving, easy to work with, and it looks pretty real too. Once I got into the swing of things, it didn't take too long to make everything. Some of the details like the shell border, the sprinkles on the cookies, etc. did take a long time, but I think that they were worth it. 

Here are some great links to tutorials and patterns that I found helpful. The patterns that I bought were from Etsy, which is also a great source for ideas. I loved just looking through all of the felt food to try and get ideas, or to figure out how to make something that I wanted for my sweet shoppe.

Feed Dog - This is where I got the swiss cake roll pattern.

Fairy Fox- This blog has many free tutorials as well as patterns for sale. 

Pink Tea- She has a brownie and a sugar cookie tutorial. I used this as a guide for my brownies.

Bugga Bugs Shop- This is the pattern that I used to make the cakes.


There were other ideas and tutorials out there that I didn't get to yet. I had a couple of failed cupcake attempts, but I will keep trying. I figure that is the beauty of this gift, I can keep adding to it over the years as I get new ideas. 

-Mandi

Linking to:

The 36th AVENUE
Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Um, AMAZING! Mandi, you put me to shame. My kids will always want to come play at your house because you have all the great toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kids will be welcome to come play here anytime, but I am sure that you will have end up doing some fun projects for them as well.

      -Mandi

      Delete
  2. Will you move out so we can live in your house? I want your playroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, Is there nothing you don't do?! I love this!!! And how happy I am that you linked up your talent to The "Sunday Stop"!!! I see a feature in your future :)
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't link to my party so I just broke my rule not to feature something that isn't linked. This is so dang cute I couldn't resist!
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feature. I appreciate your comments and your support. I totally meant to link to the party and then forgot.

      -Mandi

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! I love the cake - it's gorgeous! I'm a new follower and I’d love for you to share this on Tuesday’s Tidbits at Naptime Delights: http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tuesdays-tidbits-6.html

    Thanks!
    Sarah
    {http://www.naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      Thanks for stopping by and thanks for following. I just linked to your party.

      -Mandi

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, this is precious! I want to make some of those little cookies asap! I love your blog and am now a follower! Please stop by mine sometime and say hello!

    -Adriane @ fruitfulhomejournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Everything looks so great! You did an awesome job. I can't seem to make cupcakes, either. Love your cakes and sweets!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay,
      Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your comments. This was a really fun project to work on.

      -Mandi

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...