Sunday, March 4, 2012

Grandma Ruby Hall's Famous Noodles

I love soup. And by far my favorite part of soups are the noodles. A couple of years ago my Grandma Hall gave all of the girl cousins a index box full of family recipes with some information about different relatives on the back of each card. It has been such a fun present to use. A couple of months ago I decided to try making Grandma Ruby's noodles for some chicken noodle soup. They turned out really good and are super easy to make so I decided to share the recipe. I normally double the recipe when I make it because noodles are the best part of the soup, but here is the original recipe:

1 beaten egg
A little salt (I usually do two pinches)
1/2 eggshell twice full of milk or water (3Tbs)
A pinch of baking powder
Enough flour to make a soft dough (about 1 3/4c)

I normally mix the dough by hand gradually kneading in the flour.

The dough should be soft not sticky.
Roll out the noodle dough to desired thickness (about 1/8")


Cut the dough desired width (I usually do mine about 1/4")

A pizza cutter works great for cutting noodles.
Place noodles on dish towel or on cooling racks to allow them to dry for several hours
(If there is not time for them to dry they can be thrown into soup doughy. The noodles will just have a texture similar to dumplings.)
The noodles before they dried.
Noodles after they dried for a a few hours.
After noodles are dried throw them into boiling soup and cook until tender. I prefer to cook mine separate and then add them to the soup. They don't take too long to cook, anywhere from five to ten minutes. They will grow a bit bigger when they are cooked.

Cooked noodles
This time around I made a vegetable beef soup to put the noodles in and it turned out great.


Enjoy!

-Nicole





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...