Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Neighborly Love

This year for Valentines I decided to be a good neighbor and pass out some treats. I didn't want to do anything too complicated but also wanted to try something creative. I came to the conclusion that cakes balls would do the trick.


I started out by making two different cake mixes, chocolate and vanilla. I let the cakes completely cool and then destroyed them with a fork; didn't want to dirty another dish so I did the destroying right in the pan.

After the cakes were a crumbly mess I added about 3/4 of a can of canned frosting to each cake and mixed it into the crumbs. There should be enough frosting in the crumbs to easily form a ball. Being the type of person that I am I like to do things myself and I really wanted to make my own frosting. However I have heard that the balls don't turn out as well with homemade frosting; hence the canned frosting.

After the balls were formed I let them sit in the fridge over night. The next day I melted both white and milk chocolate on the stove. I put the balls directly into the melted chocolate in the pan, stirred them around with a spoon until they were covered, and then placed them on a pan to cool. After ruining some chocolate I learned that the chocolate should not be heated up too much or it will dry out. It's better to completely remove it from the heat when it is almost all melted. While some of the balls were still wet I added some fun Valentine sprinkles. Others I let cool completely and then drizzled the opposite chocolate on top.


The whole time I was dipping the balls in the chocolate I was worried about it being too thick. But after they cooled and I tried one I found it was delicious a little thicker and my worry was for naught.


This is the finished product. I dropped plates off to a few friends and satisfied my desire to spread some Valentine cheer.

Happy Valentines Day!

-Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...