Wednesday, February 29, 2012

How to Save Overbaked Cupcakes

Borrowing some inspiration from Pinterest and my need to branch out and make some friends in my neighborhood, I decided to host a soup exchange night. I like entertaining and have fun planning the menu, getting the house ready, etc. For soup night, the menu included Zuppa Toscana (recipe from here), salad, bread, and cupcakes for dessert. My day went fairly smoothly, my girls cooperated and I felt like I was making good time accomplishing what I wanted to. Then, I pulled the cupcakes out of the oven. I could tell within 30 seconds of pulling them out that they were about 3-4 minute too well done. The perfectionist in me was ready to dump them in the garbage can right away and start over again. Especially with guests coming over I didn't want to serve them dry cake. I racked by brain trying to think of what I could do to salvage them.


Thank goodness, I had an epiphany. I had a vision of making Skor cupcakes, a variation of Skor cake which involves baking a cake, cutting it into cubes, and layering it with pudding, whipped cream, and Skor bits. I figured that the same thing could probably be accomplished in individual servings with cupcakes instead which would add some much needed moisture to my too dry cupcakes. I cut each cupcake in half and put the bottoms into little white mugs that I have. I then layered chocolate pudding, whipped cream and Skor bits on top of that. Then I put the tops back on and repeated all of the layers again.

They actually turned out pretty cute, and they tasted good too. Dessert saved, and problem solved.

The whole night went really well. I provided dinner for everyone, and then each person brought their own soup in individual servings so that we could exchange them. We had a good variety of soups: taco soup, chicken and vegetable soup, creamy tomato basil, and a white bean chili. Thanks to Michelle for driving through a snowstorm to come support me and hang out. We had a good time talking, laughing, eating, and now we all have lunch for the rest of the week.


-Mandi

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...